Pages

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Why I Turned Down Nigeria's $7000 World Cup Bonus - Falconets Star, Courtney Dike


Nigeria U-20 Falconet, Courtney Dike, who rejected the $7000 bonus given her by the government has finally revealed her reasons. According to her, an acceptance of the bonus would have meant losing her almost $35,000 annual football scholarship at the Oklahoma State University under NCAA rules.

In a statement via the office of the media officer of the Nigeria Football Federation,
the 19 year old said;

“I would like to respond to what I have been reading on the internet about rejecting bonuses. I am delighted to play for Nigeria whenever called upon. I knew before leaving for the U-20 World Cup that I would not accept any bonuses. Acceptance of prize money is against NCAA regulations (the division 1 collegiate governing body) here in the US, so that is the main reason for rejecting it. Knowing this beforehand, I still chose to represent the country because I believed the experience would be more valuable than the money, and I was right.”

No comments: