Pages

Saturday, March 22, 2014

I Was A Bully And Gang Leader - Cobhams Asuquo


In a no-holds-barred interview with Punch newspaper, uber talented music producer Cobhams Asuquo, reveals a shocking side to him that no one ever knew about. He talks about having a rough childhood and how he bullied his way through his younger years. See excerpts from the interview below...

What was growing up like for you?

I lived in the barracks and it was fun. Some people might see the barracks as squalid, malignant and rough but it was my life. I loved it. From a barracks at Jos to Ikeja Military Cantonment; I loved it. I am a barracks boy and I am 100 per cent proud of that. I lived among Nigerians from different tribes. It gave me a lot of perspectives and insight into a lot of people’s lives. The barracks in a lot of ways prepared me for my musical journey because I got to meet people. I got introduced to different styles of music, different lingos. If I had not lived in the barracks, I would not have been able to understand the culture of the Idoma; neither would I understand that of the Tiv and the Nupe.

The barracks was a mixed grill of people with ideas and perspectives. It helped shape my music and gave me a literary understanding to relate with people. It is literature in a sense and all of that helps me understand various forms of music that I am able to create.

How was Cobhams as a kid?

As a kid I was rough. I was stubborn and sometimes, I was a bully.

You were a bully?

Yes. I did things that were big and bad enough to do. I was a gang leader in many ways and my friends always listened to me. I told my friends things because I was the one who listened to the radio the most, so they believed me. Once, I told them that Babangida had intentions of becoming a Field Marshal and I can remember all my friends saying all kinds of things.  Then I went home and my father explained to me that what he was saying was that he had no intention of becoming a Field Marshal and I went back to my friends to tell them what I just learnt and they still believed. I was that kind of kid. I was an influence and I was outgoing and outspoken.

You seem to have grown to be the opposite of what you were while younger?

I don’t know if I am quiet now. I would not say I am quiet and I don’t think anyone would tell you I am quiet. I have my moments when I retreat and I have my moments when I bare it all. When you grow older and you become wiser, you become more introspective and your views become more circumspect. You generally slow down and look before you leap.

No comments: