Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

'Arsenal Does Not Necessarily Need God To Win' - Arsene Wenger Says


Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger in a bizarre interview with French magazine L'Equipe's Sport spoke on a wide-range of topics including time, religion and more. When he was asked for similarities between his faith and his football and whether he has a "mystical power" over his players, he said;

"I am only a guide. I allow others to express what they have in them. I have not created anything. I am a facilitator of what is beautiful in man. I define myself as an optimist. My constant battle in this business is to get out there is beautiful in man. We can at this level portray me as naive.

"At the same time, it allows me to believe it and it often gives me reason." Wenger who early in his career used to read from a book of prayers before matches says he doesn't do that again and doesn't feel his team needs 'God to win.

"Unfortunately today, it works less! At the same time, fortunately, it means that my team does not necessarily need God to win. The only time possible for happiness is the present. The past gives regrets and future uncertainties. Man quickly realized this and created the religion. It forgives him what he has done wrong in the past and told him for the future not to worry. I'm always afraid of being late and not to be ready, not being able to accomplish all that I planned. My personal relationship with time is scary. To go back in time, to look behind yourself is equally staggering. First of all, you're frightened because there is less to come than the time already spent. If you wallow with that feeling, it's definitely scary and sometimes you feel guilty."

No comments: